Ah, the delightfully creative human psyche. We trick ourselves in all sorts of ways to do the things we actually want to do.
Try these powerful methods to get yourself to write that blog, book, or article you’ve always wanted to write:
- Set yourself up on a caffeine drip.
- Use ropes to tie yourself to the chair. You will get BIC – butt in chair – with this method!
- Get your spouse to hold you hostage, locking you in a closet with your notebook and pen.
- Deprive yourself of food until you do it. Nails two goals at once!
- Call yourself names if you don’t do it. Namby-pamby, wannabe writer, loser…those are popular ones.
Have you tried any of these methods to overcome writer’s block? I bet they worked very well. The rope burns showed just how much you struggled to write that poem.
Obviously I’m being facetious here. Abuse and torture do not pave the high path to producing anything. And while caffeine is great for the illusion of brilliance, soon your adrenals are shot.
I’ve got a better way (and it’s fun and sexy too!): free writing.
I have worked with hundreds of writers using the free writing method as popularized by Natalie Goldberg. It works. Trust me.
Join me and your new writing tribe for the online Free Write Fling, which starts tomorrow. Or, if you’re feeling feisty, share your tricks for making yourself write in a comment below.