Are you waiting for permission to start writing what you want? Wait no longer.
In April, I’m going to post a daily writing inspiration to coax all and any wannabe writers to get started (or resume!). I will share the benefits of free-writing, a method I have been teaching since 1996. Free-writing is a powerful tool for writers of all levels and genres to get their words out easily.
- Set a timer for 15 minutes.
- Use the prompt, and don’t think about it; just plunge in.
- Don‘t worry about spelling, punctuation, grammar or correctness. True freedom!
- Don’t stop writing for the entire 15 minutes. Don’t worry about it going anywhere, just let your pen lead the way.
- At the end of each writing session, jot down three words that describe how it went for you. Don’t overthink it. This reflection process will help you see the benefits that your writing gives you.
Have fun and enjoy the freedom! At the end of the month, if you have written every day you will have written for almost 8 hours.
Sometimes it’s good to have privacy around your writing, so no need to share your writing here on the Original Impulse blog. But if you’d like to share your three words or any insights you are gleaning from this process, feel free to leave a comment! I’d love to hear how this affects you.