People often tell me they want to be more creative. Of course, I’m curious. “What does that look like for you?” I ask.
What does it mean for you to be more creative? You might not have a ready answer. If we can’t pinpoint exactly what ‘more creative’ looks like, we can have a sense of how we want to feel.
When we’re more creative, we:
- Experience more vitality and vibrancy
- Enjoy a sense of play
- Feel more empowered
- Attract more opportunities and success
- Connect more easily to like-minded people.
So when we say we want to be ‘more creative’ we really want to be more alive.
The creative spark strikes us and lights us up, allowing us to savor those ‘aha’ moments where something new makes sense and can change our lives.
How does one get ‘more creative’? Practice by pushing the edges of your comfort zone. Try:
- adopting an open ‘why not’ perspective
- experimenting in new media
- dropping perfectionism like a bad habit
- a willingness to try, fail, and appear stupid
- making new connections between things and ideas
- acting according to your values without worrying what others will think of your lifestyle and choices
What does your ‘more creative’ look like? Share your ideas below.
Stay tuned for more ways to fire up your creativity. Get your juju delivered with a subscription to Impulses, my bi-weekly newsletter.