The Original Impulse Library includes some of the best articles and the most useful resources I’ve created for my community in the last 15 years. Feel free to visit the Library whenever you need some quick advice or inspiration. Easily access the resources that I’ve gathered for you in five categories.
- Create Your Writer’s Life: A Guide to Writing with Joy and Ease, Original Impulse, 2003, 2005, 2015
- Visit Paris Like an Artist, Original Impulse, 2017
- Chasing Sylvia Beach, Original Impulse, 2012
- The Graceful Return, Original Impulse, 2009
- Cross the Finish Line: Overcome the Hurdles to Completion, Original Impulse, 2008, 2017
- Go For It! Leading Tours for Fun and Profit, Great Escape Publishing, 2007
- Creative Toolkit for Travelers, Original Impulse 2007
Start Writing Now
Let’s face it: there are many things that come between you and your writing time. Your day job, your family and social life. Let’s not forget the need to scour every inch of the basement before you sit down to write!
I’ve been writing for over twenty years and helping writers all along the way. We’ve learned a few tricks to manage your time, manage your projects and manage those pesky inner critics that try to stifle your brilliance.
Here you’ll find a few of my best-loved articles that have helped hundreds of writers get their groove on.
- 31 Benefits of Free-Writing
- How to Write Books and Articles More Quickly
- Liberate Yourself from Old Projects
- Organize Your Book with Index Cards
- The Deadline Zone (2 parts)
- Listen to Discover Your Voice
Enjoy Your Writer’s Life
If only we could go to a Greek island for a month or two and focus on our writing! Sigh…we all have those writing retreat fantasies. The truth is, our writing life needs to be juggled along with our other obligations.
It’s not easy to make time to write and feel like we have the rest of our lives handled. In this section of the Original Impulse Library, you’ll find the resources I share with my clients again and again. They’re not your ordinary ‘time management for writers’ advice.
- Stop Being a Victim of OPA
- Boundaries for Creatives – Part 1
- Boundaries for Creatives – Part 2
- Let the Body Lead
- 50 Fun, Playful or Creative Self-Care Practices
- Shed the Weight of Procrastination
- Too Much On Your ‘Plate’? MindMap Your Way to Sanity
- Snuggling in for a Creativity Retreat at Home
- Transitions for Creatives
Get Unstuck Quick
Sometimes you need a quick new insight or strategy to dive into the writing zone. More than the simplistic advice to ‘just do it’, these tried-and-true methods will get you started right away. I’ve only included a few of the articles I’ve written on this topic, because I know how easy it is to get stuck reading advice articles. Go on, now, get that pen fired up!
- Unconventional Advice for Getting Creatively Unstuck
- Benefits of a Creative Daily Practice
- 7 Steps to Get Your Groove Back when You’ve lost Your Creative Rhythm
- 15 Extra Minutes to Feel More Sane and Creatively Rich
- ‘The “F” Word Isn’t So Bad. Really.
Writing Is Soul Work
If writing and creating were simply a matter of time and project management, everyone would have their books written by now. As a writer’s coach since 1999, I’ve hosted hundreds of coaching calls with clients.
While everyone is different, there’s one thing I know that unites all of my clients: writing is soul work. Your mind, your body, your emotions and the deep wisdom that drives you to write despite all obstacles – all parts of you need to be on board.
These articles tackle the common challenges that arise when we sit down to write. (Oh, and I know, the minute you sit down to write, you’ll need to pop up and go do some dishes. Please don’t. The world needs your words.)
- Dumping Mr Perfect
- Celebration Is Vital
- Shed the Suit – Writing Is Soul Work
- Simple, Loving Task to Re-Focus
- Got the Creative Blues? Write Your Acknowledgment Page
- Rebel at the Peril of Your Creativity
- We Write Because…
- Draft Your Writer’s Obituary to Have a Great Creative Life
More Insight into Cynthia’s World
A few articles about life from this side of the desk, regarding why I do what I do, plus some of my favorite Paris tips, because you always ask.
If you’d like to be informed when I have new resources for you, sign up for Impulses.